Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Talkin' about Tower

Alright people - this is for all my Fresno peeps...

I read a lot of elitist snobby things on my twitter stream and even in my own blog comments about how you hate the north side and only love Tower... GAWD you people love the fucking Tower district. You all make it seem like I've never been there, but I got news for you, I'm older than half of you and have been going there since some of you were in junior high!

Yes, I live in north Fresno at Woodward Lakes, but that doesn't mean I only hang out here. I just write this blog reppin' the north side because I want you to know we have cool stuff too!

GASP, you mean you can get quaint and culture north of Herndon and not everything is plastic Stepford Wives and single occupied gas guzzing SUV's? Yup, that's right! WE ARE SLAYING GEOGRAPHICAL STEREOTYPES HERE AT It's worth recording... !!!

So, here are some things you may not know about me and my Tower district history:

•I met my (now ex) husband on the patio of the Java Cafe in 1996.
•I bought my 1st pair of steel-toed 20 eyelet Grinders from Valentino's in 1997
•I got my tongue pierced from Jerry at Spears of Shiva all by myself when they were still on the North side of Olive in late 1997/early 1998.

What else do you want to know about? I've done the drinks and appetizers at Livingstones, pool and drinks and pizza at Avalon (Now Babylon), dancing in the streets at mardi gras, the patio at Veni's, the dining at Palomino's and Rousseaus and everywhere, the New Years parties and open mics and poetry jams at Starline, the lunch at Peimonte's, and everything else you can think of.

SO FRESNO PEOPLE... What do you want from me? To listen to local bands at Bobby Salazars? Have lunch at Irene's? Watch a show at Roger Rocka's? Buy something at Retro Rags? OH WAIT, I've done that TOO!

So, this may seem like a bit of an aggressive blog, but I just hate the patronizing "You should come to tower" comments. Like that's the only place that privately owned businesses can operate. Like that's the only place you can walk on the streets or find unique purchases or see a good show. Like only places south of Shaw offer good service - wrong! Wrong! WRONG!

So thanks for letting me say my peace. I hope this post helps us all come together and roam this town with wild abandon. LET'S TEAR THE WALLS DOWN!! I hope to see you out there!

4 comments:

Chris Hangsleben May 14, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

DOn't waste your time going to Irene's that place sucks... :P

I'm not a Tower elitist, and love hearing other things about the city of Fresno. Being relatively new here, it gives me an idea on all the fun things to do, and not just around Tower...

Anonymous May 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

Hm...methinks thou dost protest too much.

This is sounding much like "Hey, I'm not racist, my best friend is black!"

TEASING...just teasing!

See you Friday at Starline Grill.

Conlan May 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

So angry... but I agree with the sentiment, mostly. And please let me know about music north of Shaw.

Michael May 14, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

See I love what you are doing, pointing out that there are cool things to do in North Fresno and they aren't places like Twists, or anything else at the Palm/Nees intersection.

And some Tower people are just as elitist as the ones in North Fresno they bitch about. I'm in Madera so my opinion means shit really.

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP