Wednesday, January 7, 2009

www.dictionary.com

Right next to google, my favorite website is www.dictionary.com! I get SOO into words. I have this whole emotional reaction to reading, to listening to people talk - something almost sensual. The way they roll off your tongue. The delicate differences in meaning - the synonyms! You can read about my discovery of this and it’s relationship to men “HERE

Actually, I’m not that smart and I would IN NO WAY classify myself as a writer. I have ZERO skills compared to the fellow bloggers I follow and I know and openly admit this. I’m probably just a really talkative person who led a sheltered childhood, spent my days and night reading, and grew up to be “a bit wordy”... But whatever!

One of my favorite books is The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter. I know there was a movie about it. Don’t even bother watching the movie. It’s horrible and lame, jumps around, and hardly builds the true depth of the characters, and skips all the details that make the story really stick... Please, just read the book. So I hop onto half.com to buy a copy for a friend who I think would enjoy it and wind up on amazon reading about the other books Charles Baxter has written - which I have not read and now want to.

One of the critiques used a word I had never heard before. I mean, it’s obvious what the root of the word is, but I was intrigued.

li⋅bid⋅i⋅nous
   /lɪˈbɪdnəs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [li-bid-n-uhs]
–adjective
1.         full of sexual lust; lustful; lewd; lascivious.
2.         of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the libido.

WHAT A WORD!

How’d you like your definition to be “Lewd & Lascivious” ? Ha ha - that made me laugh out loud. Then I hop over to thesaurus.com because I feel like admitting to the world what a giant geek I am. I’m the lame kid that sits at home and memorizes the dictionary. OH GOD. Did I not just write “THIS” about also eating mayonnaise from the jar? And we all know that kid. Lord, save me now!

OK, back on track...

So thesaurus.com says this:

Main Entry:         libidinous
Part of Speech:         adjective
Definition:         lustful
Synonyms:         carnal, coarse, concupiscent, debauched, fast, hot*, impure, incontinent, lascivious, lecherous, libertine, loose*, obscene, passionate, prurient, salacious, satyric, sensual, unchaste, wanton, wicked

My favorite of those is SALACIOUS... I just want to say that word all the time. It’s a slippery word... actually, almost chewy... Does that make any sense?

So back to dictionary.com

sa⋅la⋅cious
   /səˈleɪʃəs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [suh-ley-shuhs] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1.         lustful or lecherous.

Now I’m thinking LECHEROUS... These words are gathering a more and more negative connotation, but I’m loving saying them to myself.

So that was my 10 minute break at work. You didn’t think I could take a sensual love of words and a pretty darn raunchy sexual word and turn it into a window into Nerd-dom did you? HA HA

2 comments:

justme January 8, 2009 at 9:10 AM  

I LOVE the dictionary. I LOVE words too...I totally KWYM...I spent wayyyy too much time reading as a kid too. I love learning new words, and I love it when you say a word over and over and pretty soon it starts to sound kinda weird, and somehow *different* than it usually does in normal conversation when you just gloss over it...when you really focus on a word, and pretty soon you are LOL because it sounds soo funny, KWIM??? Like in that Chris Farley movie 'Black Sheep' when they are in their friend's suped up cop car and getting all high on nitrous and they start saying the word "Road" over and over and stretching it out...LMAO, that was hilarious...Ever seen it?

Paul Evert's RV Country January 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

I've seen Black Sheep, but I didn't remember that part! One of my curses is lack of retention for all movie content besides knowing (1) The title (2) The main actor/actress & (3) if I liked it or not. Everything else his history INSTANTLY!

Naturally I went to YouTube and found it right away and you were right, that was funny - I totally forgot that part.

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP