Sunday, April 12, 2009

If bibles were beers and life were one giant party...

Boy oh boy would we have some awkward stories to tell LOL. Actually, this is quite possibly the most perfect illustration of what I feel my current experience is. Some would say it's sacrilege to speak of such things on Easter Sunday. I say it's more like the universes cruel joke on me, but whatever.

I enjoy a good adult beverage now and then, okay probably more now than then, but anyways. I'd say my experience has been that I can have a good time almost anywhere and don't need a drink to tell stupid jokes, laugh really hard, or do whatever else people do while drinking. For whatever reason though, every once in a while I don't feel like drinking. Still having that invite to a party or a gathering or even a bar, I'll go - happy to be out and to see my friends - ready for good jokes and catching up and lots of laughs and even a little gossip, I often find my conversation goes a little like this:

Do you want a drink? Where's your drink? Hey, what are you drinking? Marisa, can I get you a drink? Somebody get this girl a drink!! OH LOOK EVERYONE, Marisa isn't drinking... Are you not drinking for a reason? It's just one drink, shoot you can have just one!! I'll be right back, let me get you a drink! Marisa, where's your drink?

That's about the time I step aside and go get a glass of cranberry juice or Red Bull.

What is it about me not having a goddamn drink that makes everyone so uncomfortable? Why does me holding this fake drink suddenly make it ok? Now let's get this party started! Then we talk and we share and we laugh and the night moves right along and everyone is happy - even me!

SO, if bibles were beers and life were one giant party, I would be the one making you want to crawl out of your skin. Why is my participation so necessary for your experience to be pleasurable? It's not like you can't still talk about it, share with me stuff, and tell me what makes you happy or inspired.

For the majority though, it seems spirituality is no longer a personal journey. We must beat down every door and pound the pavement and rove the bus stations and laundromats and leave no one behind! Okay, I'm in, sign me up... Wait, what?! There's MORE invasive questions? Now it's not even good enough to do that. Suddenly you feel entitled to know all my inner workings... the why. It's not that you want to know why, but so that you can change it once you do find out. It's not even okay for us to do the exact same thing, I also have to do it for the exact same reasons as you?

I'm fighting a losing battle here.

Can't everyone just be okay doing what they do? I don't eat meat, but I don't need you to stop for me to be happy. I honestly am so happy with my iPhone and think the world would be a better place if you all had one, but in reality you don't. Okay... AND? Does that make me enjoy mine less? No! Does that make me uncomfortable? No!

I just want to be left alone. I want time for these wounds to heal. I don't want to play this game anymore. I just want to be real and be accepted for who I am, yet no matter what I do, I can't please everyone. I think everyone should quit putting the weight of their happiness and fulfillment in my hands then because I am going to disappoint you. Sigh.

4 comments:

mr-stu April 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM  

I take it I can't offer you a drink then?

oneheavenlyheart April 12, 2009 at 11:31 PM  

Umm, what are we talking about again?

justme April 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

Marissa -

Brava. I hear you completely. I am so walking that path right beside you...Perfectly stated, a great analogy, and a reminder of why I was drawn to you in the first place.

Just had to tell you how I found myself shaking my head vigorously in agreement from the beginning to the end.

Anonymous April 18, 2009 at 5:26 AM  

Marisa, I think you miiight want to expand your circle of friends to include more than A: boys who think they need to get you drunk to get into your, um, inner Marisa, or B: alcoholics.

As for people wanting to know the 'why' about you, well...they should just be handed business cards that reference this blog site, no?

Life is supposed to be one giant party. Jesus didn't say 'Be grumpy.' He said love, faith and happiness. He also suggested drinking lots of wine. Heck, there WAS no party until Jesus turned water to wine.

So you drink whenever and whatever you wish. I, for one, am not worried whether you drink alchohol or not. What I AM worried about is that your BCC (your blood caffiene level) is well over .60. All those Mountain Dews!

Steph

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP